Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summertime Broccoli

For a printable version of this and lots of other great recipes, visit www.susanmallery.com/recipes.php.

I am especially proud of this recipe for Summertime Broccoli. Why? Number one, because it’s delicious; and number two, because it wasn’t inspired by any other recipe I’ve ever seen or tried. It started with me standing in the kitchen staring at a head of broccoli, wondering what I could do to give it an interesting twist.

I’ve been hard at work getting ready for the release of ONLY MINE, the first of this year’s Fool’s Gold books, as well as writing next year’s books, so I didn’t have a lot of time to cook. (You can read a free excerpt of ONLY MINE at www.susanmallery.com/excerpts.php.) I know a lot of my readers are busy women, too, and I wanted to create something fast, easy, and delicious. And healthy. Broccoli is such a rich green color, you know it’s got to be chock full of vitamins.

ONLY MINE, July 26 2011

Summertime Broccoli fits the bill on all counts. The nutty, salty flavor is a pleasant surprise. We ate it alongside a nice rib-eye, and I think it would be a delicious side dish for chicken or seafood, too. I think you’ll love it!

Recipe: Summertime Broccoli

4 C fresh broccoli, cut into half-inch chunks
1 T toasted sesame oil (peanut oil may be substituted)
1 t tahini (smooth peanut butter may be substituted)
1 clove garlic
½ t red pepper flakes
½ t Kosher salt
¼ C walnut pieces

Steam the broccoli for 5-7 minutes, until crisp-tender. Rinse under cool water, then drain completely. Mix together the oil through the salt. Pour mixture over the broccoli and toss, then add the walnut pieces. Serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment