Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Donna Alward's Nacho Dip

I'd like to welcome Harlequin Romance author Donna Alward today as a guest cook on Susan Mallery Cooks! Today, we have not one but two of Donna's favorite recipes, which she shares below.

Donna is the author of A FAMILY FOR THE RUGGED RANCHER, a sweet and emotional story of a die-hard bachelor who falls hard for his new housekeeper. Free excerpt of FAMILY FOR A RUGGED RANCHER.

Instant family - just add Daddy!

Gruff rancher Luke Evans's new live-in housekeeper comes with an unexpected addition: a small son! Emily may be a pretty single mum - and even Luke has to grudgingly admit little Sam's quite cute - but a family is not on this die-hard bachelor's wish list!

Luke's plan? To spend as much time away from the house as possible. But, slowly charmed by Emily's sunny smile and Sam's infectious giggle, Luke begins to wonder if there might be room on his ranch - and in his heart - for a family after all!

Three Random Questions for Donna Alward

What was your favorite food that your mother used to make for you? Do you make it now for your family?
One of my faves was what we called Meat Pie but which is really a Beef Pot Pie. She'd cube up leftover roast beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, onions, and of course gravy and seasonings and put it all in a casserole and top with pie crust. I don't make it often for our family as it never tastes quite the same when I do it, but when we go home for a visit she often makes it because we all love it. She usually pairs it with baking powder biscuits. Yum!

What kind of car do you drive, and what does it say about you?
I drive an old Ford F150 pick up. When we first got it, it was my husband's vehicle and I had a minivan. But when we moved he bought a car and I "inherited" the truck. Which is fine by me. It gets me where I need to go (which usually isn't far, since I don't have any commute!) and it's quite practical for hauling around camping stuff or mulch or whatever we want to load into the bed. I expect I will drive it until it dies but when it goes I want another truck. I suppose what it says about me is that it is practical without a lot of fuss.

You love writing romances with rancher and cowboy heroes, such as your current Harlequin Romance, A FAMILY FOR THE RUGGED RANCHER. Who’s your favorite on-screen cowboy and what do you love about him?
Right now I'm REALLY taken with Tim Olyphant as Raylan Givens in JUSTIFIED. He's sexy, edgy, and a real cool customer. Plus he makes me laugh.

Recipe: Donna Alward's Hot Nacho Dip


Donna says, "It's summer time and one of our absolute favourite things to do is hang out next to our pool with friends. All that swimming (and floating and making margaritas) works up an appetite for snacks, so I often whip up nacho dip. Here are two recipes, one hot dip and one cold, both really easy and delicious."

1 250g tub cream cheese
1 can Stagg Chili
1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack blend cheese

Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a pie plate. Layer on the chili and top with the cheese. Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is bubbly (you can also do this right on your barbeque!), and serve with your favourite chips!

Recipe: Donna Alward's Cold Nacho Dip

1 cup cream cheese
1 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup taco sauce
1 tomato, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar
sliced pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)

Whip cream cheese and salad dressing together and spread on the bottom of a pyrex pan (9x13 is a good size). Then layer: taco sauce, salsa, cheddar, tomato, green onion, and jalapenos. You can eat it right away but it's even better if it's refrigerated a few hours ahead of time. Serve with your favourite chips!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yum. Those dips look fast and delicious especially the hot nacho one. Thanks Donna and Susan.

    ReplyDelete