Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Easy Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas

You can find a printable version of this recipe on my website, www.susanmallery.com. Hover over Members Only Lounge, then click Recipes. Enjoy!

I wanted to treat my husband to a home-cooked meal on Sunday, but I didn’t want to spend all day in the kitchen. I pulled out my slow cooker so that we could enjoy the aroma of the beef wafting through the house all day, but I could also spend the day with Nikki curled up in my lap while I finished reading Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas. (Wow, is she good!)

Readers have told me that they want more slow cooker recipes, so I decided to make up a recipe that I could share on my blog. Beef fajitas sounded like just the ticket, and I came up with the simplest possible recipe. It turned out amazing! Seriously amazing.

Instead of using flour tortillas, I served our fajita beef with romaine lettuce leaves. We’re trying to cut down on our carbs, and this was a delicious way to do it. A piece of lettuce, shredded beef that had been slow cooked all day, and shredded cheddar cheese … ah, life is good.

Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas


3-lb boneless beef roast
Salt & pepper
Vegetable oil
2 onions
1 C orange juice
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 4-oz can of diced chilies

Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper. Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium/low heat, then add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat for 30 seconds. Brown beef roast for 2-3 minutes per side, adding more oil if needed.

Slice onions about ½ inch thick and do not separate the slices. Lay them flat in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the browned beef roast on top of the onions. Mix together the orange juice, taco seasoning, and canned chilies, then pour over the beef. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Shred the beef with a fork. Wrap in flour tortillas or whole leaves of romaine lettuce for a low-carb option. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and, if desired, sour cream, onions, tomatoes, avocados, chips, and salsa.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I really need to get back into cooking LOL Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good recipe to get back into cooking with because honestly, it hardly even feels like cooking. It takes about 5-10 minutes to brown the meat, then you put everything in the slow cooker and ignore it all day. I did shred the cheddar cheese by hand, and that was the most labor-intensive part of the recipe. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I have a similar one to this as well. Going to make it for the family.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you love it, Christine! How does your recipe vary? I firmly believe that no recipe is sacred. I always want to know how I can make it better.

    ReplyDelete