Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Skillet Beef Stroganoff

Although I’m not a fan of the shortening days of Autumn, there is one thing I love about this time of year – the food. With the cooler temperatures, cooking inside no longer makes me feel like I’m fighting the air conditioning, wasting energy.

I’ve been in the mood for beef stew, but I spent the day writing and didn’t have time to put together a stew. So I decided to come up with something that I could make on the stovetop in half an hour, that would give me the same hearty pleasure. I came up with this easy recipe for Skillet Beef Stroganoff. From start to finish, 30 minutes… and a delicious Autumn treat!

Recipe: Skillet Beef Stroganoff


1 lb beef sirloin, sliced thin and cut into two-inch pieces
3 T flour
½ t black pepper
½ t salt
½ t ground mustard
2 T vegetable oil
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 C beef broth
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 C sour cream

Put the flour, pepper, salt, and ground mustard into a large Ziploc bag. Mix well. Add the beef and toss to coat. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms, onion, pepper, and garlic for five minutes. Add the floured beef. Stir frequently. Once the beef is brown, add the broth a little bit at a time, stirring well, then add the Worcestershire sauce. Stir frequently, breaking up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Heat to boiling, then simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment