Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tomato-Basil Salad with Molasses Vinaigrette

You can get a printable version of this recipe at www.susanmallery.com/recipes.php - plus lots more free recipes!

Summer has been slow to come to Seattle this year, as it is every year. While other parts of the country talk about trips to the beach, we crane our necks looking for a hint of sun peeking from between the clouds.

Seattle finally got a little bit of sun this week, and it’s thanks to me. (You’re welcome.) This weekend, I decided that summer needed a little encouragement, so I came up with a recipe for Tomato-Basil Salad with Molasses Vinaigrette. Summer in a bowl.

I had never even heard of molasses vinaigrette before. I have since found some recipes online, so clearly I wasn’t the first person to think of this delicious combination. The vinaigrette has a slightly smoky flavor. One website said it tastes great on spinach salad, and that sounds true to me.

Recipe: Tomato-Basil Salad with Molasses Vinaigrette


2 cups of tomatoes, sliced into one-inch pieces
½ C sweet onion, quartered and sliced
¼ C fresh basil, sliced

Molasses Vinaigrette:
3 T red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 ½ t molasses
1 clove garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Put the tomatoes, onions, and basil in a bowl. Combine the vinaigrette ingredients, then pour over the vegetables. Toss lightly to coat. Allow to marinate for at least half an hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that sounds good. It did take me aback at first, but I do a maple dressing for a Fall salad I make and it was delicious - sweet but not too sweet with the other ingredients. I'll have to give this a go especially considering most of the ingredients are on hand in the summer!

    ReplyDelete