Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Avocado-Orange Salad with Toasted Pecans

You can find a printable version of this recipe and many others at susanmallery.com/recipes.php. While you’re there, please sign up for my free Members Only area to receive when I release a new book.

As most of you know, I’m on a diet. I’m trying to lose 20 pounds by March 31, and I’ve been sharing each painful, funny step with you along the way, triumphs and failures. Sometimes, diet food feels like punishment. But… sometimes I happen across that perfect combination of healthy ingredients, flavors that complement each other perfectly, and my meal actually feels like a reward at the end of a long day of work.

This Avocado-Orange Salad with Toasted Pecans is definitely a reward. Especially because it’s so easy to make. The most difficult part is peeling the orange. I confess… I was feeling lazy, so I bought a tangelo, which is much easier to peel. (Yes, at times I am just that lazy.)


The recipe makes four salads. I made these for lunch for my husband and me, so I had to cut the recipe in half. I never used to be able to save half an avocado until the second day. Even when I put it in a Ziploc bag and tried to get all the air out, the flesh would turn brown and icky. But a while back, I invested in this avocado saver, and it really works well. As soon as I cut the avocado in half, I nest the pit in the avocado saver and then strap it in. I put the whole thing in the fridge. On Day 2, the avocado is still in pretty good shape.



Recipe: Avocado-Orange Salad with Toasted Pecans


Baby spinach or mixed salad greens
1 orange, peeled, separated into wedges, and cut into chunks
1 avocado
½ C cooked turkey breast, diced
2 green onions, sliced
½ C pecan halves
1 T seasoned rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil

Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Once it’s warm, toss the pecans in the pan and heat, stirring constantly, just until you start to smell the nutty goodness.

Divide spinach or salad greens onto four plates. Put an equal portion of orange, avocado, turkey, onions, and pecans onto each plate. Drizzle with vinegar and oil.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious Susan! I love a good salad, especially if there are nuts and fruit in it. My favorie at the Longhorn Steakhouse is the grilled chicken and strawberry salad. It has strawberries, grapes, mandarin oranges, and candied pecans. Yum!
    Now I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is delicious, Sharon. I hope you love it as much as I did. The Longhorn Steakhouse salad sounds like heaven! Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete